Who we are
The European Voice Teachers Association e.V. is an umbrella organization serving teachers of singing across Europe. Founded in 1989 by a group of 20 visionary teachers, EVTA today represents approximately 4,300 individual members in 23 countries who teach singing in all current and traditional styles at all levels of singing including children and amateurs, students and high-level professionals.
Reflecting the diversity of European culture, the member organizations have individual profiles and vary vastly in size, scope and resources. Membership in a national association automatically grants individuals the privilege of taking part in EVTA activities.
The association was reorganised as a registered nonprofit organization in Germany in 2004.
The EVTA Council, consisting of representatives of each of the member associations, is the governing body and meets annually. The Executive Committee is responsible for project conception and the administration of the association.
EVTA endeavours to complement the work of the national associations by offering projects not possible on a national level, furthering networking and exchange, and forging into new developments in voice pedagogy and research.
Past activities include
- The Young Professionals Programme (YPP). The YPP programme is designed to enable young artists, teachers and researchers to participate in international conferences. The selected artists will sing for Master Classes and presentations in various styles (music theatre, classical, contemporary, popular, folk, jazz, etc.) as well as perform in concert. Teachers and researchers will present their work in posters, free papers, lectures, or workshops.
- Eurovox 2018 in The Hague, The Netherlands Eurovox is a congress organized by European Voice Teachers Association (EVTA) every three year and focuses on various aspects of human singing, therefore it gathers professional and amateur singers, their teachers, scientists, physicians and other enthusiasts of the voice all together.
- Jewels of European Voice Pedagogy (JEVOP) 2016 in Celje, Slovenia. The core idea of JEVOP is, to find national or regional rooted „jewels“ of European voice pedagogy and make them visible for colleagues from all European countries. JEVOP is organized round the annual Council Meeting of the European Voice Teachers Association (EVTA), when this meeting does not take place in the context of a congress like EUROVOX or ICVT.
- Eurovox 2015 in Riga, Latvia
- Three projects sponsored by the European Lifelong Learning Leonardo da Vinci Program
EVTA has been involved with three LEO projects, the first was a singing teacher exchange programme, the second was the digital resources for singing teaching project and in 2013-2015 8 partners from 5 European countries joined together in the project 'Leo Sings' to share experience and mapping the diversity of individual and collective practices of singing throughout Europe, from childhood to adulthood.
EVTA also participates in the activities of the International Congress of Voice Teachers (ICVT) and actively cooperates with voice researchers and phoniatricians through affiliation with the Pan-European Voice Conference (PEVOC).
EVTA Council Wroclaw, Poland, 2019
EVTA Council The Hague, The Netherlands, 2018
EVTA Council Stockholm, Sweden, 2017
EVTA Council Celje, Slovenia, 2016
EVTA Council Riga, Latvia, 2015
EVTA Council Mechelen, Belgium, 2014